Friday, November 27, 2009

bienvenidos! :)

Hey everyone! :)

Two weeks ago, I was lucky enough to find myself in Dallas, TX at an event called Exploration! Exploration is a national event of the United Methodist Church for young adults who are exploring a call to ordained ministry in the UMC. It was an incredible time of seeking, listening, and discerning my call to ministry alongside more than 500 other young adults who are considering ordained ministry in the UMC. We were also joined by many of the current leaders in the denomination and representatives from all 13 of the United Methodist seminaries! It was an amazing opportunity to make connections and explore opportunities for ministry in the UMC.

Throughout the weekend, there were worship services, small group sessions, workshops, and a seminary fair. There were four words that summed up the goal of the weekend: "Hear. Discern. Respond. Go!" Each worship service focused on one of these words, and following worship we shared our dreams, ideas, concerns, and questions in our small groups. We each selected three workshop sessions to attend, and my workshops were: "How do I know I'm called?", "What does it mean to be a deacon?", and "Cross-Cultural Ministry." One of my favorite parts of the weekend was being able to talk with representatives from all 13 of the United Methodist seminaries. Going from table to table and meeting students & admissions representatives from each of our seminaries painted a whole new picture of what a seminary education can offer me. Exploration was by far the most awesome, informational, overwhelming, hope-filled weekend of my life! I have a million stories I would love to share, but you'll have to wait for those until the next time we meet face to face! :)

So...why am I telling you all this? Because while I was in Dallas, I did more than just explore. I committed. Exploration was the first step in my journey toward ordained ministry as a deacon in the United Methodist Church. Each day is the next step. This blog is your invitation to join me on this journey. Who's in?! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment