Wednesday, June 30, 2010

this is my new dawn.

As I'm writing this, I’m locked in the empty patio of our soon to be empty house sitting on the floor with three stressed animals. There’s a big red moving truck in the front yard and I can hear the sound of the movers loading our furniture into the truck. This is the sound of transition. I am watching everything change before my eyes.

And I’m feeling pretty good about that.

Last year this time, we moved away from everything I had ever known. Everyone I had ever loved. The only house I had ever called home. A sudden change of plans found my family moving into a rental house in a town nearby, and even though we didn’t know what was next, we knew it wouldn’t include staying here for more than a year. We moved into a house, but anticipating the next move, we didn’t even unpack everything. And we moved into a community knowing that we would be leaving it before we could really even settle in.

So today, a little less than a year later, I find myself leaving a house that was never home and saying goodbye to a community in which I have very few connections. These goodbyes are much easier, and in fact, there aren't many goodbyes at all. Last year, moving was an ending. The community that had loved and supported me for all my life helped move my family to the new house, and then they all left and went home...without us. I distinctly remember that moment. But this time around, moving is a new beginning. Today, I’m moving into a house that will become my home. I’m joining a community that doesn’t have an expiration date. And that changes everything. This time, there is a loving community waiting to welcome us with open arms- and they’re not leaving anytime soon!

Thanks be to God for new beginnings!

flower edit

"Do not remember the former things, or consider the things of old. I am about to do a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert to give drink to my chosen people, the people whom I formed for myself so that they might declare my praise."
-Isaiah 43.18-21

Pray Peace. Make Peace. Live Peace.

Katie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment